Do you wish to give a glamorous makeover to your home? Then, try out this interesting art! Sew some attractive pillow covers & renew your room’s look! Every room in your home will renew & rejuvenate with just a slight innovation.
Even if you are a beginner at sewing, no worries! You have to do only a few tasks step-by-step. So, go snip, snip, snip!!
- A pillow insert/ old pillow
- Fabric (depends on the size of pillow)
- Scissors/ rotary cutter
- A cutting mat
- Sewing machine and thread
- Iron (optional)
The creative process
- Cut the front of pillow cover the size of your pillow plus 1 inch. So if your insert is 15 inches square, you cut a square that is 16 inches on all 4 sides.
- Cut 2 pieces for the back side ensuring that fabric is in the same direction as the front.
- Each back side piece will be of same width as the front side and 1/2 of the length plus 5 inches. So that it is enough for seams and overlap (the envelope part.)
- Fold the bottom edge of top back piece over about 1/2 an inch and then again and sew along the edge to create a finished edge. Repeat for the top edge of the bottom piece.
- Now, place your front piece with good side up (with the fabric going in the direction, you want the finished pillow to have.) Then place the back bottom piece with good side down lining up the corners & then top back piece good side down. It will overlap the bottom piece. Then, pin in to place all the way around.
- Sew all the way around your pillow with a 1/2 inch seam.
- Run sewing machine around the edges with a zig-zag stitch so that the needle lands just off of the fabric on the outer edge. It will keep your fabric in place.
- Turn your pillow cover right side out and add your insert!
- You can also make designs on the pillow covers to make it attractive and decorate it with the glittery strips.
Got it? Try out any colour theme that you love. And, continue your sewing regimes till every nook & corner of your home gets a handsome makeover!
You will need about half an hour per envelope pillow cover.
So, get, set & sew tailor-made pillow covers for your pillows!